We’ve shot hundreds of interviews and client testimonials over the last 15 years and in this time we’ve refined how we go about getting the best out of each interview subject. For some people, speaking in front of camera comes naturally, for many others however it can be anxiety provoking. So how do we go about getting the authentic delivery from those we need to interview? And, equally important, captured in way that allows our editors to work with the footage as needed?
Below are a few must do’s, just 5 in fact!
Nail each one and you’re on your way to having some great interview coverage.
- Ease the talent into the interview process. You might be keen to jump straight into the deep end with your questions but it is definitely best to start with some easier questions before commencing onto the more challenging ones. Ask them how they are, or about their day so far, etc. This is also a great opportunity for audio technicians to adjust levels and ensure great audio is captured.
- Ensure to stand/sit as close to the camera as possible. This set up means you’ll maintain a good eye line of the talent.
- Best to ensure the talent responds by paraphrasing your question. This will allow you to edit your questions out during post production. eg, Question: what do you think about, Response: I think that…
- Allow breathing space between responses. This will ensure there is no overlap between the interviewer and interviewee speaking. If you happen to speak over their response, even if it’s their first word, make sure to re-take. Using hand gestures for start and stop, with a smile is a great way to manage this.
- Ensure the talent continues to look at you after a question has been responded to. This only needs to be for an additional couple of seconds, again to allow for a cleaner edit.
Together, these tips will ensure your final interview video is polished, succinct and purposeful.
If you’re the one presenting or being interviewed than be sure to check out Presenting to Camera – Develop a winning camera presence for your next corporate video production.
Don’t forget to check out some of our interview and client testimonial videos examples.Back to home